Monday, August 1, 2011

August update

So I'm at work in a quiet period now. 

Some observations-
-those D-rings could be hazardous to your car- you know how sometimes you've got your bag slung across your shoulder as your reach into your car to get something and the bag slips off?  I've heard the D-rings clink against the car in some cases.  It also does that if I'm in a rush and pull the bag out of the car quickly- no damage to the car, but not a pleasant thing.
-The bag does get heavy with stuff in it.  Today I had some light stuff, the usual- the keys, IDs, 3 cookies, my one file, two magazines, and an ipad.  Definitely heavier than my old bag.  But not a dealbreaker. 
+I did get complemented on the bag, twice in one day.  I guess I have to retract the statement I made earlier about those testimonials on Saddleback's website now. 
+for a work bag, it's the perfect size for me
-for a  daily bag, it's a bit big, but I'm still gonna use it daily because it's cool.  And it can handle it.
+it still smells good, but it no longer envelops the room in a leatherly smell
+the leather buckle thing is getting easier to open/close.  I can do it with one hand now- why does that sound dirty?
-It's still a pain to unbuckle it- it's fine for going to work and back, but another drawback when using it as a daily bag, i.e. opening the bag to get the car keys, house keys, etc.
-The leather is breaking in a bit- the d-rings are sliding around more, the leather strap to open the case is easing up, as is the shoulder strap.  The pen sleeves I whined about are now loosening up.  If this is a problem for any current owners- just shove in two bic pens in both sleeves, give it a few weeks, problem solved.  The big mama pocket is still stiff and covers up the space below it. 

I'm still gonna use it as a daily bag- if this thing has a 100yr warranty, I'm gonna get my money's worth.  So far it's been on journeys to various branch offices, gone apt. hunting, and accompanied me on an apple picking adventure at the local grocery store!  Hardcore stuff, I know.  It grows on you, this bag.  When I get home, I'll take a picture of it- the leather is scratching up, but it's a known fact it does that.  The greatest thing about that is the bag is not a prissy, prima donna bag that you have to worry about.  Surprisingly, I haven't worn it when it's rained yet.  I suspect after this winter, the bag will look different after all the snow.  I am a bit jealous of the classic briefcase design- it's got more pockets on the inside, aside from that the thin briefcase is about 1000x better. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing an awesome blog! I'm in the same bind as you. Just a question, my frame is quite small (5"8 160 pounds) and I don't want to look puny with the bag so I'm wondering how the bag suits you on that department.
    Hope to see more posts from you.

    ReplyDelete