Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Saddleback as a day bag


Over the weekend, I took a short trip out to Michigan and had an opportunity to use the Saddleback as a day bag while walking around the entire day.  I was a bit concerned with the weight, but what's the worst that could happen?  I get fed up with the bag and walk back to the car and drop it off.  So off it went.  I didn't use it as a backpack, I used it as a messenger bag like I did with my Patagonia bags while living in NYC.  

To sum it up- yeah, it's heavy.  On short trips, on the way to work, on the way to Starbucks, it's fine.  On a flight with 13 layovers in the wrong way of your final destination?  It's good.  Even on a 30 minute walk, it's fine.  But try going out and about for the entire day- 10am to 10pm.  It gets heavy.  And on a hot day, it doesn't help either.  I found myself shifting the bag from one shoulder to another, holding it like a briefcase, putting it down at stores, etc.  The Patagonia?  I would have forgotten it on the day trip.  The Saddleback is also a little bulky- I was at a crowded farmer's market and it got pushed around a bit as I navigated through the crowds.  It was a relief to put the sucker down for lunch and dinner.

The skeptics among you may be thinking, "Ah!  I bet you were carrying around a liter of water, a laptop, the special edition of War & Peace with the solid lead book cover, a SLR, and your trusty traveler's 10lb dumbbell!"  Touché... Well I was carrying my car keys, my apt keys, my iPhone, my wallet, a USA today, some loose change, a few papers with my hotel reservations and an umbrella.  That's it.  

I guess the next step is to try it out like a backpack.  But then it looks a bit off, like I'm some grade school student on his way to classes in the 19th century.  And it's still gonna be heavy.  The bag also looks a little too formal, esp. when I'm wearing t-shirts, shorts, and gym shoes.  In terms of security, the buckle is probably harder to pick pocket compared to a bag with a open sleeve or a zipper.  So that's a plus.

Oh yeah, it rained a bit.  My bag got a bit wet and when it dried?  No spots.

Would I go out exploring next time with the Saddleback?  Yeah.   But I'd definitely bring the other shoulder strap and transform it into a bookbag to try it out.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree on this one. Since I commute everyday, it was quite hard bringing it around everyday. My shoulders hurt after a few days. I still find uses for it especially when I have external meetings and presentations. I found that carrying it as a briefcase hurts me less than on my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete